About The Foster Zoo

My photo
We have decided to blog our adventures again. So much has changed since we last blogged. Bella and Shiloh both went to their forever homes and they are in wonderful families. June Bug got adopted. We quit fostering dogs after those adoptions because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. We quit doing therapy dog work because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. Tanker passed away June 9th, 2013. We adopted a senior border collie named Shania Tankerbelle in his memory. We still have our two cats, Sweet Pea and Little Bit. Wes has started rescuing pitiful bettas from Wal-Mart and we currently have seven. We have a camper. We camp. We have focused on giving our animals the best lives possible. We are The Foster Zoo Crew and we like to have fun.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Vet Visit for Miss Shiloh Ladybug

Miss Shiloh Ladybug.  That's her full name.  She was first Shy Girl.  Shy Girl was converted to Shiloh.  Shiloh became Shiloh Bug.  Wes then changed it to Shiloh Ladybug because she is just so very sweet.  Ladybug is a symbol of luck and good fortune.  Ladybug is also a symbol from my brother.  As you all know, we started seeing ladybugs in "John" places after John died.  We started seeing them on important dates.  One even landed on Wes' shoulder in the hangar he works in on Wes' birthday and another one inside the plane he works on on the anniversary of John's death.  Wes and I even have Ladybug tattoos in memory of John.  We feel that connected to John through the ladybugs.

John rebuilt and showed Mustangs when he was alive, so Wes' tattoo is a Mustang emblem with a ladybug crawling on it.

Wes feels that Shiloh is a special girl and she is going to change lives as a therapy dog, just as John changed our lives.  Shiloh is named Shiloh Ladybug after my brother.

I noticed a few days ago that Shiloh was starting to not feel well.  She was going potty often and very little at a time.  Her urine was concentrated and had a little bit of blood in it at one point.  We took her to the vet today.

On my way to the vet without my sister, Bella.  I am not very happy about it.  Mom has to work on training us apart more because we are very attached to each other.

The car ride to the vet was spent howling.  Shiloh eventually pawed the barrier down and made her way into the seats, but only after she pottied in the back.

When we got to the vet, she walked in nicely on the leash.  She remembered it as the place she got shots before and was not particularly happy about being there.  She was a trooper though and behaved nicely.

We weighed her and she weighs a whopping 25.9 pounds now!  We had her at the vet last week for shots and she was only 22.1 pounds.  That girl is growing fast! 

We then went back into a room and waited for the vet. 

Shiloh's physical exam was perfect.  Her heart and lungs sound good.  Her temperature was normal.  Shiloh and Bella are popular at the vet's office.  Everybody loves them there.  They commented on how well behaved she was for her age. 

The vet needed a urine sample before prescribing antibiotics.  Of course, Shiloh has to potty all the time except for when we need to get a urine sample from her.  We walked her, and walked her, and gave her water, and walked her, and even put a pee pad down in the office for her in hopes she would use it.  She did exactly what she does with them at home.

I'm so glad they put a pee pad down for me to lay on.  Feels like home.  So comfy!

We sat and waited, and waited, and waited.  We gave her water, a dog bone, more water, and then waited some more.

I'm not sure what they are waiting for.  This place sure is comfy though.  I like these tile floors a lot.

After waiting long enough for the dog who urinates too frequently at home to go potty at the vet, she finally had to have an ultrasound of her bladder done and urine was pulled out through a fine needle.  This is actually the better way to get urine because it is sterile that way, but it's more expensive.  Oh well.  Such is life.  The vet said she did really well and layed on her back.  She did not fight it at all.  The best part (says Shiloh) is that she got a little bit of hamburger at the end for being such a good girl.

The vet did a preliminary test checking the pH level of her urine and checking for protein.  Her pH was high and there was protein in her urine.  Both indicate an infection.  The rest of her urine will be used for a urinalysis and culture. 

Shiloh was sent home with 15 days of Clavamox.  Two members of the Foster Zoo are now on antibiotics. 

On our way home, Shiloh was happy to sleep in the backseat.

All was good until Wes took the curves too fast and Shiloh upchucked in the backseat.  Everybody was glad to finally get home.

What a day!  I never want to do that again.

Welcome home, Shiloh!  Where did you go?  What did you do?  What are all these smells on you?

 Let me just eat some grass.  It's been a rough day.

They did what to your what??? 

Do you hear those frogs?  One day, Shiloh, when you are feeling better, we are going to jump the fence and go play in the creek.  I hear frog chasing is fun! 

 Do you always have to get us in trouble, Bella?

 I seriously can't believe they did that to you.

 Hold my paw and promise me you'll never leave me again.

 No matter what.

 Because you are the only puppy I want to pounce on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our family and friends.

Follow by Email