About The Foster Zoo

My photo
We have decided to blog our adventures again. So much has changed since we last blogged. Bella and Shiloh both went to their forever homes and they are in wonderful families. June Bug got adopted. We quit fostering dogs after those adoptions because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. We quit doing therapy dog work because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. Tanker passed away June 9th, 2013. We adopted a senior border collie named Shania Tankerbelle in his memory. We still have our two cats, Sweet Pea and Little Bit. Wes has started rescuing pitiful bettas from Wal-Mart and we currently have seven. We have a camper. We camp. We have focused on giving our animals the best lives possible. We are The Foster Zoo Crew and we like to have fun.

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Puppies are Growing Like Weeds!

Our little puppies are hardly little puppies anymore.  We took them back to the vet to get their last round of shots.  They needed their last distemper shot, their second Lyme vaccine (this was a must for us after what Wes has gone through), and Shiloh needed her rabies vaccine.

The first thing we do when we walk into the vet office is get greeted by all the vet techs up front.  Boy, do they love Bella and Shiloh.  Then we lead them over to the scale.  They are really good about getting up and sitting on the scale.  Our little girls have gained about eight pounds each since we got them.  Bella is now 29 pounds and Shiloh is 30.  These little porkers are growing like weeds!  I have a feeling they will be big girls!  Topher was only 38 pounds when we adopted him at the age of 2.  Tanker was only 40 pounds when we found him at the age of 3 (he was underweight).  These little puppies are going to quickly surpass TnT in size.

Bella and Shiloh were a little more whiny in the waiting room.  They barked more at other dogs than in previous trips.  They quickly settled down when we told them to.  They are listening to us well, but they need more socialization with other dogs.  I have lots of great friends with well trained dogs who want to have playtime with the puppies.  I need to get them used to other dogs.  This is a top priority.  We haven't gotten them out around other dogs much yet due to lack of vaccination.  The vet said that in about a week they should be good to go and fully protected from everything.  If the puppies think they have been through puppy bootcamp with what I have been doing with them, they have no idea what they are up for now.





This is not the time for pictures, Mom.  I just had a thermometer put up my rear end.  That was no laughing matter.

The puppies kept us up all night, mainly Shiloh.  That deep sleep and three hours of being lazy after their training yesterday caught up with them and she was full of it all night! 


Resting up so we can play all night.


She howled in her crate.  She dug at the door.  She chewed on the inside.  Generally they do that if they need something: to drink water, go potty, etc.  I let her out multiple times, but all she wanted to do was play.  She also wanted to be up on the bed with us.  Shiloh is such a loving puppy.  She loves us very much and likes to curl up with us.  If she is on the bed, so is Topher.  Topher doesn't mind sharing his mommy with Shiloh, but I have to be shared.  Shiloh can't have me all to herself.  Once Shiloh was on the bed, and Topher was at my feet, Bella started whining to come out too.  We were tired, so I gave in and let Bella out.  Bella did not want to curl up on the bed with us though.  She wants to PLAY!!!  I had Topher at my feet, and Shiloh at Wes' feet, and Bella nipping at us and pouncing on Shiloh to play.  They all went back in their crates.  I will be glad when they grow up and are more like Tanker.  Once tired, he stays tired all night.

 

Wes was able to sleep through most of the puppy play last night.  Me, not so much.  I woke up this morning ten minutes before we had to leave for the vet.  I jumped out of bed, threw some clothes on, put my hair up, and brushed my teeth.  I have a big mound of laundry that needs to be put away.  That mound contains most of my normal socks.  I was left to wear the rubber ducky socks today.



The puppies are very tired this afternoon.  They usually are tired after they get vaccines.  I am giving them a break today.  I hope it's not going to kick me in the butt later when we go to bed.  I hope they don't get that same surge of energy they did last night.





Wes had to be in early today for Commander's Call.  He was presented a Commendation Medal for the length of time he has been in the squadron and for his work here.  I am very proud of him.  This medal will go towards his points to be promoted.  We will find out later this month whether he gets promoted or not.  I hope he does.  He sure deserves it. 

More of my flowers on my plants are blooming.  They are pretty and they make me smile when I go outside.









Lastly, Neo's door is fixed.  It's not fixed properly, but it does the job for now.  It is a reflection of our miscombobulated lives.  (Neo and the other cats broke the latch thingy that made it stay closed by fighting under the door.)  Neo is still up for adoption, but we have had no calls on him.




Neo gets to come out on day passes for supervised play time still, but he can no longer bust through the door and be mean to the other cats.  Poor Neo.  He really needs to find another home where he can be happier.

1 comment:

We love hearing from our family and friends.