About The Foster Zoo

My photo
We have decided to blog our adventures again. So much has changed since we last blogged. Bella and Shiloh both went to their forever homes and they are in wonderful families. June Bug got adopted. We quit fostering dogs after those adoptions because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. We quit doing therapy dog work because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. Tanker passed away June 9th, 2013. We adopted a senior border collie named Shania Tankerbelle in his memory. We still have our two cats, Sweet Pea and Little Bit. Wes has started rescuing pitiful bettas from Wal-Mart and we currently have seven. We have a camper. We camp. We have focused on giving our animals the best lives possible. We are The Foster Zoo Crew and we like to have fun.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tanker Is Home!!!

 First off, I want to thank each and every one of you for your love, support, friendship, and genuine concern during this rough weekend.  I want to thank the several coworkers of Wes' who asked Wes about Tanker at work last night.  I can't tell you how much that means to us.  We are blessed with a wonderful support system that exists here in the D.C. area, Washington, Georgia, Florida, and everywhere else.  We owe gratitude to each and every one of you for helping us through tough times such as this weekend.  Thank you.

Wes picked up Tanker from the vet after work this morning and they got home about 5 am.  We were all exhausted, but were energized by our delight for the homecoming of our sweet boy.  Tanker was his old self!  As soon as Topher heard the garage door go up and I told him that "Pom Pom" was home, he stood at the basement door patiently waiting to be reunited with his best friend.  They trotted around the house for a while and then both settled into the same dog bed.  Topher just plopped down right on top of Tanker.  We stayed up until 5:30 am because that is when Tanker is due for his regular scheduled meds.  When the medicine alarm, a.k.a turkey alarm (that's what they know it as), went off on our phones at 5:30, they all congregated in the kitchen.  Life in the Foster Zoo is back to normal.

I LOVE Woodbridge Animal Hospital.  Tanker was supposed to be picked up by midnight last night or shortly thereafter.  Their billing cycle starts at midnight for overnight stays.  They charge for 24-hour increments.  Because they knew our situation of Wes having to work late and me not being able to drive, they only charged us a half day to keep Tanker until this morning.  That is against their policy, but they made an exception for us.  I thank God everyday for the good people in this world.  Woodbridge Animal Hospital has always been very good to us and all of our pets.  Blondie was there for her heat stroke; Sweet Pea was there for a consultation when she had hepatic lipidosis (in which they didn't even charge us for!); they have been beyond wonderful to us.  I felt Tanker was in great hands all weekend long.  Wes brought them something a little special this morning to thank them for their services.

Tanker is a little bit tired this morning.  If I had ten seizures over the weekend, I would be tired and sore too!  He is still on the increased dose of Phenobarbital and Zonisimide.  Wes got up this morning at 9 to go to Costco and pick up Tanker's Keppra prescription.  (He is so dedicated to his family.  He worked all night, but woke up to be at Costco's doors when they opened.  Have I ever mentioned I am married to the greatest man alive?)  Keppra has to be given every eight hours, so we will start it this evening with his regular scheduled meds.  5:30 pm, 1:30 am, 5:30 am (for his other meds), and 9:30 am is a schedule that works well for us.  Luckily our dogs volunteer with us, so they will be with us most of the time anyway when we volunteer with each other once or twice a week.  Because Keppra takes about three full days to build up in the system, Tanker will remain on the higher doses of Phenobarbital and Zonisimide until Friday.  We will then wean him back down to his regular dosage.  I have a lot of faith in this drug.  It is a human drug (as are most of Tanker's medications) and it controls seizures well in humans.  Being able to get this drug at a very reduced cost through Costco's uninsured drug program (since Tanker doesn't have a paying job) was an answer to prayers in itself.  I can't help but to think this medication will also be an answer to a lot of prayers in controlling Tanker's seizures.

Tanker and Wes still plan to test for their therapy dog test this weekend.  Talk about dedication!  Tanker is running around and following commands (in between napping) and Wes feels that he will do just fine on it.  Tanker and Wes both LOVE to get out and help others and I know both are anxious to join Topher and I as Delta Society Pet Partners.  We are all excited to volunteer once or twice a week for an hour or so in the mornings before Wes goes to work.  Helping others through our animals.  This is our life purpose.

Waiting for his brother to walk through the door.

Hello Tanker!  Welcome home!

Trotting around the house together.

Thanks to all my human and furry friends for crossing your paws for me. You must have all wished on your lucky bones because I am alive and well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our family and friends.

Follow by Email