About The Foster Zoo

My photo
We have decided to blog our adventures again. So much has changed since we last blogged. Bella and Shiloh both went to their forever homes and they are in wonderful families. June Bug got adopted. We quit fostering dogs after those adoptions because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. We quit doing therapy dog work because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. Tanker passed away June 9th, 2013. We adopted a senior border collie named Shania Tankerbelle in his memory. We still have our two cats, Sweet Pea and Little Bit. Wes has started rescuing pitiful bettas from Wal-Mart and we currently have seven. We have a camper. We camp. We have focused on giving our animals the best lives possible. We are The Foster Zoo Crew and we like to have fun.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Canine Good Citizen Class #3: February 1, 2011

 Class went excellent last night.  Topher paid more attention to Tanker across the room than I would have liked, but he paid attention to me too and listened to all of my commands.  I am sure glad he is able to multitask because I certainly can't.  His eyes stayed on Tanker, but his ears stayed on me.  That's what matters most, I suppose.  He really loves his brother and looks after him.  Most of the dogs last night were wild crazy and had short attention spans, except my two, so that contributed to it, I'm sure.  We worked a lot last night on the dogs walking by your side, as opposed to in front, and stopping, sitting, or down on command.  Topher and Tanker are 100% proficient at that.  Topher sometimes has the habit of turning to me to sit when we stop.  After a few corrections, he quickly caught on that he has to sit in place and not turn.  We worked on waits and stays.  Tanker and Topher are 100% proficient at that.  I am not a big fan of teaching the difference between wait and stay.  I never have been.  I didn't teach it with Blondie and I haven't taught it with Tanker or Topher.  My philosophy is that if I tell the dog to stay, they better stay until I give them a new command, regardless if I come back to them or tell them to come from a distance.  With that, I don't mind if they change position in a stay, just as long as they don't go anywhere.  The instructor was not really impressed with my method.  She said they need to know a distinct difference between wait and stay.  She said they need to know that for therapy dog work.  I'm not convinced.  Our definition of stay works for us.  I will work on teaching wait this week for kicks and giggles though.  What's one new command?  I suppose it won't hurt.  I just hope it doesn't confuse my dogs as my version of stay is really a combination of the two.  It's not like I ever plan on showing them in obedience classes.

Topher and Tanker both did well with being left with a stranger.  Wes and I even took the instructor's dog and left the room.  Topher was a little concerned with that, but didn't make a fuss about it.  Tanker, of course, did not care and wondered if he was being given a new owner.  Tanker is so trusting of everyone he meets.

This Canine Good Citizen class is easy peasy. Canine Good Citizen? I'm a Canine FANTASTIC Citizen. Where's the gifted class???

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our family and friends.