About The Foster Zoo

My photo
We have decided to blog our adventures again. So much has changed since we last blogged. Bella and Shiloh both went to their forever homes and they are in wonderful families. June Bug got adopted. We quit fostering dogs after those adoptions because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. We quit doing therapy dog work because Tanker's epilepsy got bad. Tanker passed away June 9th, 2013. We adopted a senior border collie named Shania Tankerbelle in his memory. We still have our two cats, Sweet Pea and Little Bit. Wes has started rescuing pitiful bettas from Wal-Mart and we currently have seven. We have a camper. We camp. We have focused on giving our animals the best lives possible. We are The Foster Zoo Crew and we like to have fun.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Canine Good Citizen Class #2: January 25, 2011

Topher and Tanker did great in class last night. I couldn't believe how much Topher had improved in just one week. He paid attention to me 100% of the time. We were all working on the command "here" where the dog has to be where you point your hand (either next to you, in front of you, or behind you), loose leash walking, and sitting. We were the last team that the instructor came to and she said she had been watching us work the entire time as she helped other people. She said she didn't have to stop to give us pointers because she was so impressed at how well Topher was doing. We even had to work right next to a pretty hyper dog (within 6 feet of her) and Topher completely ignored her to listen to my commands. Tanker did well too. He is a little bit slow with things. The instructor doesn't seem to mind though. She knows he has epilepsy and she says he is such a well behaved dog. She is impressed with how gentle he is. I do have to mention how funny it was when it was his turn to sit in the middle of the ring and "come" to Wes on the other side. Most dogs ran to their owners. Tanker looked up and slowly walked across the gym to Wes. Typical Tanker. Slow, nice, and easy. I couldn't help but laugh. Because I know Tanker so well, I could just picture him saying in his mind, "BORING." I say that because I know if Wes had a tennis ball in his hand, he'd be running across the gym! He did end up trotting the second half of his hike across the gym to Wes, but he wasn't going to exert himself over it. Nice, calm Tanker. He is not stressed about anything in life. Topher, of course, ran to me as soon as I said the word "come."

Topher and Tanker both did great with being left with a stranger and us leaving the room. Topher whined a little bit. It was not excessive and he would have still passed. Tanker, of course, could care less.

I think Tanker and Topher are favorites of the instructor. She likes to point out how good they are. They are in a class with a lot of big dogs, mostly German Shepherds, but also one (big) pit bull and a mix breed dog. Topher and Tanker feel like the little guys.

This is me patiently waiting in my canine good citizen class. I'm waiting to show off to the class how awesome I am. I sit and watch the other doggies. The instructor makes me go last...probably to show all the other doggies how it's supposed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our family and friends.